Hello PLUG, I'll try to be brief and direct:
1.- If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem;
my solution is at the bottom of the post after I establish my context.
CONTEXT:
2.- Respect is of the utmost importance, lose respect and lose the group.
With that said:
3.- If the group doesn't meet your expectations, you don't belong to the group and the link fades away.
My personal case:
I don't live in Arizona.
I am part of this group because of its "Linux" component, everything else is respectfully considered (or not). I believe I am a valuable member of the group because I respect other people and I have some Linux knowledge.
I have been helped and I have helped people here in the past.
When I don't feel welcome anymore (respect) or when I am swamped with useless (to me) information, I'll find other venues. Everybody looses... :(
If you think that computer geeks like to chitchat, try an aviation group...
I used to own an aircraft and I joined a group to (amazingly) get help with aircraft knowledge. The same issue arose: "Off Topic", or "I like you guys and I am interested, but I am here to fix and maintain my airplane".
The "Solomonic" solution was to create 2 groups:
Aircraft-chat for everything "exclusively" aircraft and,
Hangar-chat for everything else.
THE SOLUTION:
Use the PLUG mailing list for what it was meant to be: Computer Geek stuff.
Create a "watercooler-PLUG" mailing list for everything "else". Now people has a clear choice to join the technical discussion, the entertaining gossip, both or neither.
In MY case, I would not go without the gossip...   ;-)
Enrique A. Troconis,