Guys.  I live in Los Angeles and am on every public mailing list in
the world, even in other languages.  I am sad to see such discussions
turn hostile on a LUG list, but I have never seen such activity in all
my years.  I hope we can all get along and share in something that we
can all agree on -- a useful discussion of Linux and related topics.
Now who is with me?  :)  Let's s not be divided by opinion, but united
by love of this wonderful Operating System...

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 8:38 PM, Alan Dayley <ala...@consultpros.com> wrote:
> I've stayed out of this latest round of off-topic threads.  I am happy
> to see vibrant discussion.  I am unhappy to see personal attacks and
> other silliness.  I'm unhappy to see it go on and on.
>
> This is enough.  It's just enough.
>
> I don't go to a email list or forum on topic A to be drown in
> discussions about topic W.  That topic W may be important, the points
> and counter-points offered in brilliance and courtesy doesn't matter.
> If the venue is supposed to be about topic A, the majority of the
> conversation should be about topic A.  Etiquette and respect for the
> community around the chosen topic dictate that other topics should be
> minimal.
>
> It doesn't matter how strongly you feel about what someone said about
> some off-topic post.  Continuing to reply off-topic such that the main
> purpose of the community is drowning into the background is
> disrespectful.  Don't do it.  For example, it would be rude of me to
> go to a meeting of alcoholics anonymous and use my turn to talk so
> that I might espouse the benefits of a vegetarian diet.  Don't do it.
>
> - Using the delete key is not the answer because that only masks the
> destruction of the group's purpose.  And only masks it for one person.
>  Same with filters.
> - Flagging as "OT" is helpful but when the OT posts dwarf the
> purpose-oriented information, such a tag is nearly useless.
> - Moderation is not the answer because that will suck volunteer's time
> and smacks of "babysitter-ism"  Do we really need to be forced into
> good manners?  Really?
>
> This is a Linux email list created by a Linux User Group for the
> purposes of discussing Linux and subjects directly related to Linux.
> Period.  Politics should only be discussed when it directly effects
> Linux/OSS/FS use and promotion in some way.  To continue all this
> discussion of boycotts, immigration and the like is killing the core
> meaning of the group.
>
> Stop.  Please.
>
> Alan

Kristian Erik Hermansen