What's running on your laptop?

With the Shrew Soft VPN client (ike and ide-gtgui on ubuntu) packages, you *might* get an IPSec connection going, but NAT on your laptop/remote end will likely trip things up. I would recommend steering clear of IPSec.

OpenVPN is the VPN of choice for road warriors. On the home/server end, I use IPCop. It's a full featured firewall distro that contains OpenVPN (and IPSec) as well as a slew of other features. It will run nicely on an old P-III system, with as little as 128M of RAM and a 1G HDD. Find an old desktop system that's going to be scrapped, throw a 2nd nic in it, and you're ready to roll. You'll need a switch behind it for your LAN/Green subnet, but those are dirt cheap as well.

--
-Eric 'shubes'