Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 12:23:33 -0700

Some might disagree with me here, but as a possible alternative to
setting up a full VPN solution...  If you're going to be needing to do
this often then absolutely a more permanent VPN solution makes sense.
But for a one-off or two-off if you don't need GUI access, just a shell,
you could do a reverse ssh tunnel.

If you have access to any trusted server off your home network you can
use that, or what I've done in the past is just spin up a small cloud
image on Amazon or Dreamhost or anywhere that offers a utility-based
pricing model (pay only for the time you use).  Build the tunnel from
one of the computers on your LAN to the cloud server and leave it open.
If you're worried the connection might drop while you're away you could
write a small script that checks to see if the tunnel is up, and
restarts it if it isn't (copy a public key to the cloud server for
key-based auth so this doesn't need a password).  Then when you need to
log into your stuff at home, ssh from your laptop to the cloud server,
then jump from there to the machine on your LAN that has the other end
of your tunnel.  If you need to access more than one system at home, you
can then jump from the system with the tunnel to whatever you need to
get at.  Yes, performance could suck a bit ssh'ing 2-3 times, but the
set up is generally faster than VPN if you only need to use it once and
you're comfortable working with ssh already.

Just a thought if you needed to get going quickly, or have something
until you can get a VPN up.  And don't forget to shut down the cloud
server when you're back home so you don't pay for something you aren't
using! I've done that one too, luckily an EC2 micro instance is pretty
cheap.  Good walkthrough on reverse tunneling:
http://www.howtoforge.com/reverse-ssh-tunneling

--
Jill