Thanks for all the comments. Based on what you have said and further
research, I have come to the conlusion...

1. I need to install openvpn on a machine on my lan and on my laptop.
2. I will follow these instructions for installation and configuration -
http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/howto.html#quick
3. Just enable all the vpn options on my BEFSX41 and pray it all
connects...;)

fallback....purchase a cisco pix 501 and play with that.

Thanks!

Mark