Its cool.... I was surprised they specified an OS as well.  but the
university of Minnesota seems more willing to work with me. This is what
they said (in part):

Firefox or Chrome for Linux should work fine for Moodle. Open Office for
Linux saves as Word and in other MS compatible formats. We also have Google
Docs as a University implementation so you can use those online apps.

As long as you can view the following types of files you should be able to
access most anything in the courses:

   - Video
      - .mp4, .wmv, Flash (flv or swf),
      - Word Processing
      - .docx, .doc (may require a document viewer for .docx)
   - PowerPoint
   - .pptx, .ppt (may require a document viewer for .pptx)
   - PDF
   - Excel
      - occasionally .xlst, .xls
      - Web browser (Chrome or Firefox may be the best choices, you are
   welcome to try others)

As Mark mentions, the only course we have that is geared specifically to a
Microsoft product is Spreadsheets (CA 1020) but if you want to take that
course and can accomplish the tasks without the Windows based interface
tutorials and save the files as .xls, we'll get you into the section
(different instructors) where you will not be required to use MS Office.

SO I think I'll be paying them for my degree!