For a variety of reasons too numerous to go into, I'm getting a yen
really to simplify computing things as much as possible -- within
reason, I guess, though maybe even unreasonably at first.  Call it a
learning experience.  2 thousand 0 0 party over oops out of time,
tonight we're gonna compute like it's 1999.

So I'm looking at various elements I have installed, currently, which is
already much reduced from what I had installed in the past, and
wondering what else I can free myself from.  It's a little more
difficult to figure out, in some cases, than I thought it would be.  I
think this is partly due to the inexorable march toward automation and
"ease-of-use" efforts brought to bear on the Linux ecosystem in recent
years.

Case in point:  the display manager.  I can't really find a good
explanation of what is does in a single-user/simple-needs/home-user
set-up, aside from provide a pretty place to type in one's user name and
password.  The [1] Wikipedia entry and some [2] TLDP guides explain its
usefulness in situations involving dumb terminals and multiple screens
or monitors; Carla's excellent "Linux Cookbook" explains how to change
it (Problem: "You don't like your login display manager, and you want to
try a different one") and how to use 'startx' instead, but not what
using a display manager gets you; even the [3] SLiM (which calls itself
a "login manager," rather than a "display manager") website says SLiM
"is suitable for machines on which remote login functionalities are not
needed" without saying, exactly, what it does that 'startx' doesn't do
or what a display manager does that it doesn't do, beyond "remote login
functionalities."  Though it also says this, which I don't understand:
"Single (GDM-like) or double (XDM-like) input control."  What does that
mean?

So, assuming I'm not interested in a multi-head setup, not connecting to
remote terminals or something, not at all put out by logging in from a
console rather that a pretty screen with flowers and butterflies, nor by
editing .xinitrc if I want to change my window manager, do I really need
a display manager?  Are there any other essential or desirable functions
I'd be missing?

I just thought, since most distros seem to use one by default, it must
do Something Important.  But I don't know what that might be.

Michael M.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_display_manager
[2] http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/sect_07_03.html
[3] http://slim.berlios.de/