On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 22:19:11 -0700
John Jason Jordan <joh...@comcast.net> dijo:

> I am sending this from a KDE desktop, because my Gnome desktop won't start. I
> get my desktop background, but no Gnome panel. Kind of hard to run
> applications when you have no panel. And Alt-F2 fails to launch a terminal.
> Luckily the login option to start KDE instead of Gnome works. So here I am
> with a sort-of working computer.
>
> OK, I have never used KDE before. But I am now poking at it because it's all
> I can get working. Maybe y'all KDE dudes and dudettes can convince me to keep
> it. If Gnome won't run, to hell with it, eh?

I still can't get Gnome to run properly. Actually, it comes up fine and
my custom screen background looks the same as it did before. It's just
the panel that is missing. And Alt-F2 won't open a terminal. However, I
can get to the command line with Ctrl-Alt-Fx and back to the GUI with
Ctrl-Alt-F7. And Ctrl-Alt-Del pops up the shutdown options window. And
the bluetooth mouse is working.

I really think all that is wrong is that the panel is not coming up.

>From the command line I tried killall gnome-panel but it said there was
nothing to kill. So then I did sudo apt-get install gnome-panel and it
said I already had the latest version.

I also tried dkpg --configure -a, which announced that there were 56
packages that had been installed automatically and were not required.
So I did apt-get autoremove and got rid of them. They were all
libraries except Vuze, Azureus and Gnome-gtk. Not sure what Gnome-gtk
was for, but removing it didn't change anything. And I also edited
xorg.conf to switch from nvidia to nv.

I also tried the session option to boot to Gnome-failsafe, but it got
me the same screen without a panel. Apparently Gnome-failsafe runs
Gnome without any startup scripts. But it didn't help.

Still poking around.

And no, I'm not interested in a clean install. That would take days to
get things reconfigured. I have apps that took me a lot of work just to
get them to run, and I don't always remember how I did it. I have been
doing upgrades with Ubuntu since Burpy Buffalo, or whatever it was that
I started with four years ago. Sometimes there is something to fix, but
it takes less effort than a clean install. Eventually I'll figure out
this problem too. And I'll learn something in the process as well.

But if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. 'Cause KDE is
driving me crazy. Can't find the buttons for stuff.