On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Michael Robinson
<plu...@robinson-west.com>wrote:

> I run CentOS 5.3, I try to keep updated because it's CentOS and CentOS
> sadly is way behind as far as Linux distributions go.
>
> People who run CentOS want something that just plain works and they
> don't expect to reinstall their operating system every 6 months or
> sooner.
>
> Ubuntu seems to be the most popular Linux distribution for desktops
> and it seems to be more current, but I'm not sure I like Ubuntu.
> I don't like having to maintain 2 different Linux distributions.
>
> Games like Dirk Dashing Secret Agent noticeably don't work quite right
> on CentOS.  The latest release of Dirk Dashing doesn't seem to work at
> all on CentOS, I am not sure why.
>
> Where is Linux going in the future?  What is getting the most attention
> right now across the board in general?  Wine and ReactOS still have a
> long ways to go.  Dirk Dashing is a native Linux program, but it doesn't
> work equally well on all Linux distributions.  Are the various Linux
> distributions, enterprise and desktop editions, going to get closer in
> time features wise?  Is there going to be a 2.8.xyz kernel soon?
>
> The kernels that CentOS uses stock are quite old as far as the 2.6
> branch goes.  I am using 2.6.18 and the current kernel is like 2.6.27
> or something.  In CentOS, the mesa drivers seem to be ancient.
> Graphics support in CentOS seems to be weak even if you have
> updated as far as you can.  I'm wondering when CentOS 6 is going to
> come out?
>
> Enterprise Linux Distributions are supposed to be for people who need a
> system that just works.  But do these distributions have to be so far
> behind the bleeding edge?  I'm surprised there aren't repositories for
> CentOS to make it more bleeding edge so that you don't have to maintain
> a whole entire different Linux distribution.

You have to decide what you want your machine to do and what you value more.
If you value something super stable and not bleeding edge then something
like CentOS is a good bet. Slackware is the same in many respects although
that project isn't beholden to an upstream distro for updates in the vein of
CentOS.

I really stayed away from the Ubuntu train only because when I first tried
is many many releases ago it just wasn't my thing. I have run more recent
releases to play with and I do find it has really matured and supports all
the things that I want to run/do. I am currently running Fedora 11 though
and have found it to be stable, easy to work with and prompt with updates.

So you're at the cross roads. Move to something else or stick with something
you're familiar with. Unfortunately with the way open source and it's
dependency and code re-use goes (which I find to be a good thing) .. changes
with games and such aren't going to work on a distro that doesn't release
the latest and greatest graphics updates.

Drew-