I had a friend that used a laptop as an Email server for quite a few
years until it eventually broke down (it lasted about 3-4 years). He
liked it because it didn't use as much electicity as a desktop so he
could afford to leave it running. He used it not only for his own Email
but as a mailing list that we and some other friends used to keep in
touch. No clue if it's really relevant to your issue however.

Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people believe in
windmills.