On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 00:05 -0700, Donkyhotay wrote:
> I had a friend that used a laptop as an Email server for quite a few
> years until it eventually broke down (it lasted about 3-4 years). He
> liked it because it didn't use as much electicity as a desktop so he
> could afford to leave it running. He used it not only for his own Email
> but as a mailing list that we and some other friends used to keep in
> touch. No clue if it's really relevant to your issue however.
>

> Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people believe in
> windmills.

If you think about it, you don't have to buy a UPS for a laptop which
saves you money.  Laptops tend to take up less space than desktops,
which is good.  Unforunately, laptops tend to run hotter than desktops
and if the laptop is used for more than 2 years the chances are good
that the hard disk in it is going to die soon.  Another obvious problem
with using laptops as servers is that they probably only support 1 hard
drive which roughly translated means no raid.  I believe there are
different classes of laptops meant for different purposes.  There are
obnoxiously large laptops that are clearly meant as Desktop replacements
and there are tiny Asus Eee PCs that run Linux which are single core
and sub 1 Ghz.  I like the Asus Eee PC because the Linux version at
least has a solid state replacement for the hard drive.  Laptops include
screens that you technically don't need on a server, so three laptops to
serve as three servers means redundant keyboard, screen, touchpad, DVD
drive.  Do you want a laptop for a server or would a mini ITX form
factor computer make more sense?

Laptops are so cheap right now starting at around $400 for a new one.
By the time you buy three 1000VA+ smart UPS'es, you have spent more
than that.  The real question is, will a laptop be more reliable than
a desktop system outfitted with a UPS?  the advantage of normal
form factor computers is that it's easier to replace failing parts.
Laptops tend to have custom size custom made parts and they aren't
typically supported for very long.  Typically, you should replace
fans as often as once a year.  Ideally, a server should be fanless
dissipating it's heat via special conversion devices or a special
liquid.  The liquid needs to be non ionized if the circuitry is to be
submerged in it, so tap water is out.  The biggest strike against
desktop computers is that the power supply is so cheap and the
most likely of all the parts to fail.  Laptop power supplies are not
necessarily much better.

I recommend writing a list of the advantages and disadvantages of using
a laptop as a server and then augment that list with a list of what you
can do to remedy the disadvantages.  It will be interesting to see what
costs more, using a laptop as a server or a desktop as a server.