On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2010, Victor Soich wrote:

>  Aha! Are you using a Ethernet cable or a wireless connection between this
> machine and the wireless router? You have both interfaces shown, but only
> the ethernet (eth1) is running.

>> wlan2     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0f:66:70:d1:9a
>>         UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>>         RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>>         TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>>         collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>>         RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

I am using an Ethernet cable  to connect to the wireless router.  Once
I am able to access the configuration screen of the router, then I
hope to configure the wireless stuff, and then I hope my wireless card
will be able to access the router.

By the way, I paid 8 bucks for a wireless dongle from the Freegeek
thrift store, which was tested to work with linux by the Freegeek
testing process, whatever that is.  However the tech support at
Freegeek couldn't get the wireless dongle to work with my particular
box.  Please note, I did give it the old college try to try to figure
it out myself first.  They said none of the wireless dongles that they
had on hand worked with my particular box, and so they put in this
wireless card.  I don't know if it's a case of a tech support person
doing the expedient thing, or if my particular box has something so
weird, that no wireless dongle worked.  Whatever the case may be, I am
annoyed that I paid for a wireless dongle, and wound up with a
wireless card.  I wanted to be able to remove my dongle and use it for
other computers.  I have yet to make use of my wireless card.

Furthermore, I built 5 boxes at Freegeek, and then built this one that
I'm currently using, which is not able to work with a Freegeek tested
wireless dongle.  Freegeek let's you keep your sixth box that you
build.  I asked if I could turn in my sixth free box back in and build
a new one in it's place, so that I could have a box that works with a
wireless dongle.  They could sell the box that doesn't work in the
thrift store, with the caveat that it doesn't work with wireless
dongles, and I could build a box that would work with wireless
dongles.  I was met with a lot of rhetoric regarding how Freegeek has
limited resources, and that I would not be allowed to do this.  That I
find disingenuous because, all their stuff is donated, and it's my
sweat equity that is being spent.  Freegeek gets 5 boxes built by me,
and I can't build a sixth box that will work with a wireless dongle.
Need less to say, my enthusiasm for Freegeek took a bit of a hit.  I
wanted my free sixth built box to work to my satisfaction, but instead
I'm annoyed.  I not so needy that I need a free box, but I'm am anal
enough, that if the box that I have doesn't work with a wireless
dongle, then I want to turn it back in, and build one that will.

Furthermore, I'm worried that I'm going to get slammed for criticizing
Freegeek, and for not being gracious for getting a free computer.  If
Freegeek, and linux were a regular company, I'd be livid about a lack
of customer service, but since it's idealistic, I'm more just
disconcerted.

Having said all that....I was incredibly happy when I got civ 4 to
(mostly) work on my machine.  That video game was the only thing that
I really missed from Windows!  I'd wax gloriously about Wine right
now, but I've written enough!

Still, now my immediate goal is to just to be able to configure my
router.  So....back to our regularly scheduled programming.......

Sincerely,
Victor