Update on Ubuntu 11.4 install

Regarding my previous fine whines about the bugs in the latest Ubuntu
release, Natty 11.4, out of fairness I felt I should present my
subsequent experiences with the Unity desktop version.

The display bugs and performance disappointments I encountered upon
first install have been extinguished with a week's worth of Ubuntu
updates. The one remaining snag, not being able to define alternate
mount points in the installer, is a major one for novices, but obviously
cannot be remedied without an entire new release .iso.

Now that Natty seems to have settled down, apparently it does deliver
performance superior to its predecessors. Whether due to the new
compiz-based graphics instead of mutter or some other change I can't say
but display speed is noticeably improved with Unity. Ubuntu forums seem
to indicate problems with Natty "Classic" (the old Gnome-ish interface)
but at least Unity delivers on its promise of speed.

Also, possibly related, I've found that Natty's LibreOffice loads its
initial invocation much faster than OpenOffice. So much so that I've
abandoned GEdit Geany and Kate and use Libre Office Writer for all my
work, text as well as word processing and HTML; it's really just as fast
and clean as GEdit. That alone justifies the switch to 11.4 for me. The
new Unity side panel still takes some getting used to but at least it
works as advertised now, my old favorite Avant panel coexists perfectly
with it and the improved Natty graphics makes the Unity app menu as fast
as the old Gnome-panel, even with the extra mouse click.