John Jason Jordan wrote:
> But that means shopping, and all I know is that I want one that is 24
> ports, gigabit rated, and manufactured by someone that has a good
> reputation for reliability. Google found me 24-port gigabit switches
> for as little as $115, but I don't know about the quality.
>
> Does anyone have recommendations for brands and/or models that are
> reliable?

I almost bought this Trendnet switch when Newegg had it on sale for $90.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156294

I know nothing about Trendnet reliability, but one of the Newegg
reviewers says that this switch does not have a fan.  While that might
make it less reliable, it also makes it more tolerable in a home
environment.  I think many switches of the type you are considering
are likely to have a fan, potentially a noisy one due to the form factor.

galen
--
Galen Seitz
gal...@seitzassoc.com