On 10/20/2011 11:43 AM, Aaron Burt wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 09:44:08PM -0700, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
>> In my search for a solution to my transcription software problem I
>> finally found the instructions for correctly installing Express Scribe
>> with Wine. I got the program running this time and successfully loaded
>> an audio file and can play it. The next step is to have it work with the
>> USB foot pedal.
> I have my doubts about HID passthrough in Wine, but have you considered
> using software to make the footpedal emulate keypresses?  I think LIRCd can
> do that.
>
> There's some discussion of using hiddev/uinput to accomplish this here:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/873975/how-to-capture-raw-hid-input-on-linux
>
> Then you could just map the footpedal's buttons to the corresponding
> keyboard commands for Express Scribe.

As I've thought more about this I realize that mapping to keyboard
commands probably won't work. I use Express Scribe to listen to the
recording. I use OpenOffice Writer to type. While typing the OO window
has the focus so any key presses would be interpreted by OO unless
there's some other trick I don't know about that let's some keyboard
commands go to one program while another program has the focus. As I
look at the link you provided there might be something in there. I'll
dig further.

Thanks.

--
Regards,