Hi Rich,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've used LyX before for research papers, and the WYSIWYM approach is
fine by me.  I have used PSTricks.  However, I do remember having a
lot of trouble with LaTeX package dependencies and the like and it was
never clear to me the right way to address those when using LyX.  I
would not be interested in hand-coding LaTeX to do presentations.
Also, I have a feeling that HTML5 is just going to look way snazzier
for dynamic presentations. Take a look at a few examples (in an HTML5
compliant browser):
  http://imakewebthings.com/deck.js/
  http://lab.hakim.se/reveal-js/
  http://bartaz.github.io/impress.js/#/bored

Of course you can go way overboard with slide transitions, but I do
find true utility in having the ability to zoom in on large diagrams
in the middle of a talk to show more detail.  Having a tree of
slides, rather than a simple linear slide deck, is also really nice.
For instance, the main talk could be 20 slides long, but on a
particular sub-topic of the talk, if someone asks for more info,
branching off onto that tangent of slides to help answer it.  Longer
talks on the same topic could go down some of the branches of the
tree to provide more depth.  No need to copy/paste slides from one
presentation to another for a talk you give in different-length time
slots. Just have one big deck and cherry-pick the slides you want to
use for that specific audience.

Back to your suggestion: do you know of an easy way to go from ODP to
LaTeX/Beamer?

tim