I've been to busy to fool with Gnome 3 for a while, but I'm
assembling my "I really HATE this, how do I fix it?" list.

I do not appreciate strangers rearranging my desktop papers.

When I first encountered Linux and Gnome, years ago, I fell
in love with virtual desktops and Gnome Original - I use 20
virtuals, populated with many interlocking projects, and on
a 2048x1536 laptop screen it is like having a physical desk
40 feet wide that I can navigate with a mouseclick.  Wow.

Gnome 3, Gnome Classic, and Cinnamon /all/ share the same
arrogant feature - "all your edges are belong to us".  Move
the mouse to the upper left corner (where a full screen CAD
tool might be using the pixels) and bang, you are in the
desktop pager.  Move an xterm to the top or the edge, and
it resizes across the screen.  How do I turn that stupid
f***ing c**p OFF and get a simple, passive desktop again?

MATE is Gnome 2 - I can live with their silly renaming of
all the apps.  I suppose they had to avoid collisions when
the Gnome 3 wrecking crew plowed through the namespace.  But
I worry that without the active support of the major distros
they will fail.  I've already run into rendering problems on
the MATE login screen with one graphic chipset.  My distro
of choice is stable, staid Red Hat Enterprise Linux,
Scientific Linux variant, and for some reason RHEL chose
Gnome 3 Classic as their principal offering.  I expect
Red Hat's customers are NOT updating to RHEL7 in droves.

I can live with new names, or some changes to the paradigm.
If I can make some incarnation of Gnome 3 leave the damned
edges alone, and do only what I tell it to with keyboard and
mouse clicks, I can relearn how to work, and live with it.

Is this possible?   Otherwise, will MATE get enough support
to endure for a decade or two?  Or will I be stuck with
changing to M$Bob\\\\\Gnome 3 in the future, anyway?

The head of the Gnome project recently asked me for help
with an unrelated issue, and it took all my self control
to remain silent and NOT RIP HIS F***ING HEAD OFF, never
mind helping.  Even Miguel de Icaza, the originator of
Gnome, is using Mac OSX now.  Does it take a cattle prod
to wake these zombies up?

To summarize - commit to MATE, or try to repair Gnome 3?

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          kei...@keithl.com