My .02 cents - go to XFCE or LXDE, or compile DWM and go tiled.  Life is
too short to convince the Gnome or KDE teams that they messed up.

With your use model being 20 some odd virtual desktops it would seem that a
tiled manager would fit your need a lot better.

EPEL is your friend if you are running SL:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

DWM:
http://dwm.suckless.org/