if you add rsync --delete option then rsync will delete remote files as you
describe. For the safety of your files, maybe you should consider enabling
snapshots or do some safeguarding with your mirror scripts.

It would be unfortunate to loose all the NAS backup files just because you
accidentally deleted your USB drive or forgot to mount it or something ....

Hope it helps, T