On Fri, 08 Jul 2016 23:55:16 -0700
Tomas Kuchta <tomas.kuchta.li...@gmail.com> dijo:

>if you add rsync --delete option then rsync will delete remote files
>as you describe. For the safety of your files, maybe you should
>consider enabling snapshots or do some safeguarding with your mirror
>scripts.
>
>It would be unfortunate to loose all the NAS backup files just because
>you accidentally deleted your USB drive or forgot to mount it or
>something.

I can see I'm going to have to spend a lot of time studying rsync. But
for starters I decided to use cp to see if I know how to specify the
destination. Thunar displays a window with files in the destination and
at the top of the window is a location bar. It says
'smb://synology.local/synology/.' So from the command line in the
directory where the USB drive is mounted I did

cp <a small file> smb://synology.local/synology/
cp: cannot create regular file ‘smb://synology.local/synology/’: No
such file or directory

I also tried it without the trailing slash and again with a slash
in front and got the same results. Then I tried adding http:// in
front, but still no joy. For my last effort I specified the destination
by the ip address of the Synology (192.168.0.101), and this time I got
no error message, but it also failed to copy the file. However, when I
added a slash in front of the ip address I got 'cp: cannot create
regular file ‘/192.168.0.101’: Permission denied.' This reminds me that
before Thunar would show the contents of the Synology I had to log into
the share.

I'm out of ideas. Suggestions?