On 1/16/2017 9:37 AM, Russell Senior wrote:

> Richard> "What is to be done" is not the problem.  The problem is doing
> Richard> on the Windows machine.  The various web references I've found
> Richard> which even mention use of fixed IP addresses point at Windows
> Richard> tools which implicitly/explicitly presume *EVERYBODY'S* goal is
> Richard> an internet connection. *NOT* my goal ;) Also, as a side note,
> Richard> both machines have WiFi.  My goal is wired connection.  A more
> Richard> general goal is education.  A lot of my background is ~40 years
> Richard> out of date.
>
> This isn't a windows mailing list.  However, I found this by searching:
> "how to configure a static IP on windows xp" (which I think I remember
> is what you are trying to do):
>
> https://portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm
>
> Start at step 5. Ignore the testing internet connectivity.  In step 9,
> set anything you'd like for the default gateway and DNS servers, or use
> what is shown.  It won't matter, since you won't really be using them.

I don't recall whether or not I had read that particular link.
By whenever route I had arrived at menu items listed in Step 5
and following.
They had not worked.
This morning I repeated what I thought I had already tried.
This resulted in a *working* connection at the *HARDWARE* level.
I think I have links to instructions for relavant software.

In another forum the was a comment suggesting installing Cygwin
to have a linux-like environment on the Windows machine.
That "rattled my cage". For a former project I had done a minimal
Debian install to a flash drive. I'll do a much more complete
install -- good selection of network oriented tools. That should
give me a an optimal solution of {2 laptops + 1 cable + 1set
common tools + *NO*alteration of the Windows' laptop ;}

Thank you.