That is what I like about ZoneMinder, it is FOSS and it is your job to make
it as
secure as you want. I had an instance where I thought I had removed all of
the
PhPMYAdmin stuff from one (I had installed it to do some changes) I did not
get
a small piece removed and the bad guys got in through that, but they were
not
able to do more than call attention to themselves due to the fact that the
file
system would not let them do what they wanted to do. Now if I put PhPMYAdmin
on something, I make SURE I remove the whole enchilada. A good firewall on
it with proper rules will keep it clean.

As far as the cameras, someone pointed out that even Wifi need to be fed
with
12vdc (some are 5) If you try to run it with solar that is like putting up
a big sign
attracting the bad guys. Best if you can figure out how to get the cat5/6
out to
the camera and use PoE to power it, then you have only one cable going
there.

Also ZoneMinder captures the video as jpg files (you can use other formats)
found out that law enforcement realy REALY likes jpg images, as they have
all
kinds of tools to look at them with. The other formats not so much. After
we had
the breakin at the neighbor house, the sheriff asked if I had video, I did
and I
gave him the previous month, they came back and asked if I had 6 months
worth (I did) I just gave them all that was on the hard drive, which went
back
about a year. The purps had been casing the place for about 6 months all
told.

The one that they saw in the video was known to the neighbor.

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 5:39 AM, Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Mar 2017, Vedanta Teacher wrote:
>
> > www.krebsonsecurity.com just posted a piece of vulnerabilities in DVR
> > cameras.
>
>    Which is why I asked if there are any known to be secure or that could
> be
> made secure.
>
> >  Personally I will not be joining the IoT. I'm doing this from memory
> but,
> > in the Mayan *Popol Vuh* (yes I have a copy & I've read it) the Maya are
> > attacked by their household goods; chairs, tables, pots, pans, etc. With
> > my cell phone & TV already spying on me & a leaky IP address I don't want
> > to add to the mix...
>
>    Don't forget your microwave oven! You want to be dressed when in front
> of
> it because it's taking your picture and transmitting it somewhere.
>
> Rich

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
Glass, five thousand years of history and getting better.
The only container material that the USDA gives blanket approval on.