From: plug-boun...@lists.pdxlinux.org [mailto:plug-boun...@lists.pdxlinux.org]
On Behalf Of John Meissen
Sent: Friday, March 17, 2017 5:08 PM
To: Portland Linux/Unix Group <plug@lists.pdxlinux.org>
Subject: [PLUG] Ubuntu and NFS during boot

Do we still have any Ubuntu experts in the group?

I have a number of systems that have cross-mounted filesystems. Generally
things work OK, but after a power outage today I noticed an issue during boot.

One of the systems didn't have the nfs server running (other issues), and my
main server stopped during the boot process and waited for manual intervention.
Something like "remote system not responding, press "S" to skip".

WTF.

I have the "bg" option specified in fstab. If I run the mount command manually
after the system is up, the mount immediately backgrounds.

This is exactly the OPPOSITE of the way I would want a server to act. There may
be no one here to intervene after a power failure, and the LAST thing I want to
happen is for the system to hang during the boot if a remote system is
temporarily unavailable. That's exactly the time I would want it to background
itself.

Can someone tell me wtf is going on, and how I can change this behavior?

john-