robert.ci...@gmail.com said:
> Sounds like you want autofs:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Autofs

No, different use case. What I want is for 'mount' to work the way it's
supposed to:

  bg / fg   Determines  how the mount(8) command behaves if an attempt
            to mount an export fails.  The fg option causes mount(8) to
            exit with an error status if any part of the  mount  request
            times  out  or  fails  outright.  This is called a "foreground"
            mount, and is the default behavior if neither the fg nor bg
            mount option is specified.

            If the bg option is specified, a timeout or failure causes the
            mount(8) command to fork a child  which  continues  to  attempt
            to mount the export.  The parent immediately returns
            with a zero exit code.  This is known as a "background" mount.

It works fine if I run it manually. What's different about the boot process?