On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 18:47:32 -0700
Denis Heidtmann <denis.heidtm...@gmail.com> dijo:

>Both your main storage and your backup run from the same power line in
>the same house.  What is the likelihood lightning or some other major
>event could affect both at the same time?  Low, but backups are
>intended as insurance for low-likelihood events.  Then there is
>crypto-lock.  I do not know about how that works and how different
>backup schemes protect against it.

First, my house has a 7500 watt natural gas powered generator on the
covered back patio. It is not wired to a transfer switch that
automatically turns it on and switches the house wiring to it in the
event that PGE fails to send me its usual electrons. Instead, it is
wired to various outlets around the house that say 'generator only on
the cover plate. If the power from PGE fails then I have to go out to
the back patio, turn on the generator, then go back inside and move
everything that I need to have running to a 'generator only' outlet.

In the meantime, the computers, routers, switches, internet devices, and
even the stereo are all running on major APC UPS systems - three of
them. They will power the electronics for a couple hours, so I don't
need to be in a hurry to turn on the generator. And to keep the
electronics running after I decide that I need to turn on the
generator, all I need to reconnect to the 'generator only' outlets is
the power cords from these UPS devices, plus the refrigerator,
freezer, and some table lamps. I chose to wire the generator this way
rather than using an automatic transfer switch is because 1) automatic
transfer switches are expensive and, 2) automatic transfer switches
require a permit.

Regarding the permit, I had a very heated debate with the City of
Portland, which ultimately I won. My major point was that my wiring was
not connected in any way to the grid, hence it was impossible for it to
electrocute a lineman working on a power pole out in the street. It is
a completely private system. It helped my argument that I did all the
wiring in my house myself and it all passed code inspections.

As for lightning strikes, since all the electronics are running off the
UPSs, and they have pretty good surge protection, I am not overly
worried.

Now, it's possible for something to happen that I have not foreseen,
but then, you take some risks getting out of bed in the morning. You
even take risks if you stay in bed. In the final analysis, we are all
dead. In the meantime, I am satisfied with the precautions that I have
taken. :)