On 04/06/2017 07:56 AM, Chuck Hast wrote:
> Yea, I keep on forgetting that for a lot of things out here you need a
> permit. The
> one thing I miss about FL. I replaced all of the wiring in one house had a
> good
> electrician friend come over took a look at it said it was ABOVE spec and
> gave
> it his blessing. I understand when it is a commercial job or something like
> a res-
> idential rewire ( I was getting my place ready to add solar panels and
> separate
> the low power consumption parts from the high power consumers) but even
> then to demand a permit for everything is just way beyond what I see as
> good.
>
> Bureaucracy run wild.

There's a good side to the permit/inspection bureaucracy, as well as the
annoying side. It's an insurance plus to have had a permit/inspection if
something goes wrong down the road. On the other hand, I know that some
things that are "to code" aren't as good as what I want. And while what
I want isn't against the code, it's also not what a typical electrician
would do. Back in the '90s my wife and I volunteered with Habitat for
Humanity on a project in Aloha. A retired Westinghouse electrical
engineer (power) was the site supervisor, and an electrician who was a
member of the sponsoring church consulted. After a little instruction on
things I had never done (heavy cable and the use of the grease on the
connection fittings) we wired 10 houses from the meter base on the side
of the house in. The engineer and I designed the wiring so that there
were two different 20 amp circuits in each of the four bedrooms. (Not
that there were just the two outlets in that room were the only outlets
on one circuit. The same two circuits served two rooms.) This was done
because the typical family had six or more members, (Mom, Dad, and four
kids) and one bathroom. So there could be up to four or five hair driers
running in the morning. Anyway, Habitat had an electrical contractor
wire another one of the houses. The electricians didn't follow our plan,
but did their typical run. That put too many outlets on one circuit for
the need. It was to code, but not what was needed. So, yes. A good idea
to make sure the wiring meets code, but being able to do it yourself so
you get what you want is a major benefit.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens