From: PLUG <plug-boun...@lists.pdxlinux.org> On Behalf Of Chuck Hast
Sent: Saturday, December 30, 2023 3:30 PM
To: Portland Linux/Unix Group <plug@lists.pdxlinux.org>
Subject: Re: [PLUG] UPS shopping

I am not sure you would have to check on each manufacturer, the best ones are
on line double conversion the power goes through the UPS, it is rectified, the
battery floats on it and the DC feeds an inverter so that the load never sees
mains power. The rest of them are some form of standby/offline UPS which
switches to the battery backed inverter if there is a failure or sag of some
sort on the power line. The better ones will have line filtering to clean up
the trash that is sometimes called utility power, again your mileage may vary
Google is you friend on this one.

Most of the better "pure sine wave" units do quite well, Triplite was used
heavily on the glass container inspection machines I worked on, some plants had
their own gen stations and the power was "up and down"
line wiese (voltage and frequency) those never seemed to go offline they just
did their job.  In the hospital labs we have been using Cyber Power, these UPS
also appear to do the job, everywhere we have  put equipment behind them we
have had no more issues with DOA PSU's and logic modules.  There is APC which
is all over the place, my issue with them was mainly that was the go to by the
BioMed folks and APC kept on selling them modified sine wave vice pure sine
wave and we would continue to have issues.
Why APC would sell them modified sine wave when we had told them that they
needed pure sine wave I do not not but kind of left a bad note in my mind about
APC.
I have a lab that put in APC pure sine wave and they have had no issues with
power since. So I think that as long as you do a bit of due diligence you are
probably in good shape.