On Wed, Jan 3, 2024 at 12:53 AM Russell Senior <russ...@personaltelco.net>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 3, 2024 at 12:17 AM Ron Braithwaite <r...@braithwaites.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I have Ziply and am exceptionally happy with them.
>>
>> When we bought this house and switched from Frontier to Ziply, we
>> discovered that Frontier had *LITERALLY* run the fiver ON TOP OF THE
>> GROUND
>> from the street to our house when the neighbor cut our fiber connection
>> with a weed whacker.
>

> Although management changed, Ziply *IS* Frontier, or what Frontier was.
> Frontier sold off some of its markets several years ago, and Ziply was the
> buyer, and investment group in the Seattle area from what I recall. So, you
> didn't switch from Frontier to Ziply so much as Frontier became Ziply.
> "Switching" implies it was your choice, and as much as I wish we had more
> choices, we generally don't.

It's difficult to keep track of the mergers and aquisitions of
telecommunications incumbents, and in the process of reminding myself,
found this with some more details of the sale:

https://www.fiercetelecom.com/telecom/frontier-sells-off-some-its-wireline-assets-for-1-35b

https://www.oregonlive.com/silicon-forest/2020/05/ziply-fiber-completes-14-billion-acquisition-of-frontiers-telecom-business-in-oregon-other-western-states.html

The sale seems to have been announced in 2019 and closed in 2020. Frontier
acquired local wireline Verizon assets in 2010-ish. Verizon (then known as
Bell Atlantic) bought GTE in 2000. As far as I recall, having grown up in
GTE territory, they'd been the incumbent telephone company in the 'burbs
since at least 1970. According to Ziply's wikipedia page: "General
Telephone Company of the Northwest, Inc. was founded in 1964 following the
acquisition of the West Coast Telephone Company and later became GTE
Northwest, Incorporated. GTE Northwest originally served Idaho, Montana,
Oregon, Washington."

So, to summarize:

West Coast Telephone --(1964)--> GTE Northwest --(2000)--> Verizon
--(2010)--> Frontier --(2020)--> Ziply

--
Russell Senior
russ...@personaltelco.net