On 1/3/24 19:17, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
On Wed, Jan 03, 2024 at 02:50:19PM -0800, Russell Senior wrote:
So, to summarize:

West Coast Telephone --(1964)--> GTE Northwest --(2000)--> Verizon
--(2010)--> Frontier --(2020)--> Ziply
Having lived near Beaverton for 63 of the last 70 years,
I've experienced all of those transitions, from gestation
onwards.  When I was small, my parents shared a party line
with another family; I remember hearing the phone ring and
ring, and did not understand that the different ring was
the other (not answering) family on the same line.

[...]
Perhaps Russell and others can tell us about the transitions
to Century Link from (Pacific Bell?) in Portland and
Multnomah County.

Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company --(1961)--> Pacific NW Bell --(1988)--> US West --(2000)--> Qwest --(2011)--> CenturyLink (which merged with Level 3 in late 2017, and became Lumen in 2020, but is still using the name CenturyLink for local exchange service, although transitioning to Quantum branding for their fiber service). Amusingly, despite going by CenturyLink for years and years, the PPPoE credentials still use qwest.net in the username and you still occasionally see hostnames with the qwest.net domain. Some of those dates are just branding transitions, and the underlying merger dates might predate or postdate the branding changes ... it's complicated, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Northwest_Bell for more details.

My local telephone exchange, a few blocks from my house, still has a sign on the exterior with the old PNW Bell branding.

--
Russell Senior
russ...@pdxlinux.org