On Tue, 2 Jan 2024, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
>Anybody on the list subscribed to Ziply Fiber?

THANKS TO ALL for EXCELLENT and COGENT responses to my question
about Ziply static IP.  $10 (or even $50) extra per month for a
business class connection with a static IP is well worth it -
much time and confusion saved when there is no time to debug
my ONLY connection (needed to look things up).

I know I can simulate static behavior with DHCP and dynamic
DNS and proper configuration, but I prefer simple and robust
to clever.  I'm old enough that "clever" is in short supply.

Regards "business rates and business department" ...

I learned similar good info from a Ziply install tech (crusty
opinionated overall-ed bearded ex-hippie, my favorite variety
of expert) who was servicing a neighbor, a few months ago.

He said the best part of Ziply business class is a US call
center rather than Asian, staffed with people who know the
subject rather than parrot menus.  We talked for a while,
but I forgot to ask him about static IP.

We already connect our landline personal phones via Ooma -
which needs a working internet connection.

With our current ComCAN'T connection, we also have a copper
telephone connection for the fax machine (a regulatory
requirement for my M.D. wife), but she may be "retiring"
from practice (and the hardwire fax requirement) soon.

We connected through Verizon for decades, which degenerated
into horrible Frontier, which has improved into Ziply.

We still have the ancient Verizon fiber modem on the garage
wall, still connected to an overhead single-mode fiber to the
street fiber bundle.  It may be a simple matter of replacing
that old modem with a modern device, then changing a few
addresses in the PC-Engines APU that firewalls the modem to
the house network.

-----

Last comment in this tooo-loooong PLUG post - the bad part
of the overhead service drop was that it was attached by an
eyescrew to the gutter fascia board nailed to the edge of
our roof - a "woodrot-friendly" environment, with nails
penetrating soft rotten ex-wood.  The whole crumbly mess
was gradually pulling loose.

I replaced the fascia board, and re-attached it with Simpson
Strongtie angle straps to multiple rafters (also reinforced
in the attic).  In the next 500-year Cascadia subduction
zone earthquake, I expect that attachment to remain "rock"-
solid (heh), though extreme-ground-movement-tension on the
reinforcing wire might dislodge a street pole or two. :-(

Keith L.

--
Keith Lofstrom          kei...@keithl.com