From: PLUG <plug-boun...@lists.pdxlinux.org> On Behalf Of MC_Sequoia
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2024 10:34 PM
To: Portland Linux/Unix Group <plug@lists.pdxlinux.org>
Subject: Re: [PLUG] virus check methods

"what do you recommend I should do to make sure none of us are compromised,
have trojans, etc?

As a long time Debian user and former Sys-Admin, I'd suggest starting with
ClamAV and a root kit scanner.

Here's a link to some good info on how to install and use both,
https://upcloud.com/resources/tutorials/scan-debian-server-malware

ClamAV can also be setup to run like any desktop AV app on Windows.

Rootkits are an entirely different beast and I never had to deal with them.

Here's some more malware and security tools that I found that I'm not familiar
with, so I'd suggest doing a bit of research.
https://linuxsecurity.com/features/the-three-best-tools-you-need-to-scan-your-linux-system-for-malware

Lastly, If you're not familiar with hardening a Debian system and/or you don't
know if it has been done, I'd highly recommend getting educated on it ASAP.
Here's a good place to start,
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-manual/automatic-harden.en.html

I'm stoked to actually know someone who knows what Siduction is and runs it! I
ran Sidux as my production desktop for a few years and just loved it. I've been
running Bunsen-Labs since they lost the right to use the name and went to
Aptosid. Blech, I vomit in my mouth a lil' whenever I even think of it...