I forgot to mention - I didn't lose any data or config when reinstalling
vBox.

Data/VMs live, by default, in your $HOME/*VM directory, config is in
.config/VirualBox* directory.

Installing/removing a package should not touch your home the same way
uninstalling libreOffice doesn't delete your documents.

That said - it may be good idea to backup those directories from time to
time if you care about the VMs.

Hope that helps,