There's tools in quemu to convert a VirtualBox VM to the qcow2 format.

If anyone is interested I'd be happy to post a complete set of instructions for
going from bare metal to Ubuntu 24.04 server,
Running KVM, Copilot, and virt-manager.

I've used Copilot to create a Windows 11 Pro guest VM under this setup although
I use virt-manager for more advanced configuration of guest VMs.  The Ubuntu
server is run "essentially headless" that is there is no GUI on it, the idea
is, similar to how VMWare ESXi is built, to devote all CPU and other resources
on the Hypervisor server to the guest VMs.

"back in the day" when we were running 32 bit VM guests there was considerable
advanced programming in writing a hypervisor since you were emulating cpu
instructions.

But these days most of the heavy lifting is handed over to the CPU which does
the actual work of creating a virtual machine.  There's really not much
difference under the hood between the KVM+quemu, virtualbox, or Microsoft
hyperv hypervisors.

The big difference is how much iron you can throw at it.

Ted