On 12/15/2017 12:19 PM, Carl Karsten wrote:
On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 9:29 AM, Richard Owlett <rowl...@cloud85.net> wrote:

On 12/15/2017 08:47 AM, John Sechrest wrote:

What is the goal of the basic?

Chuckle. I intentionally capitalized BASIC to be recognized as an acronym.

Just dinking around?

BASIC is the appropriate tool. E.G. it's silly and often counter
productive to use a cannon for an annoying mosquito.

Or creating value of some kind?

Value for me.

Or solving some particular problem?

Actually a loosely defined set of problems.
I've often wished for BASIC to write a simple script.
There are a proliferate plethora of corpulent Basic's out there.

I know there are tools aimed at scripts. HOWEVER I know and am comfortable
with { "new" <> "better" }

The default language that I point purple to is JavaScript, since it is so
ubiquitous and since it solves many problems in the default user interface
these days.

It looks like there are three versions of basic transpired to JavaScript

https://github.com/jashkenas/CoffeeScript/wiki/List-of-langu
ages-that-compile-to-JS

So JavaScript has some versitility

I avoid Java and JavaScript.
95% of what I do could easily be done on a 64k 8080 machine.
[I do avail myself of the capabilities of my 64bit GHz processor with an
attached 1TB external drive when appropriate.

IOW, the suitable tool for my needs is a tack hammer not a sledgehammer.

smaller is *BETTER*!

That is debatable.   Most of you requirements seem like a personal
preference, which is fine, but it makes it hard for someone to give
advice.

Nowhere nohow did I ask for suggestions of what language was appropriate.
I asked for an equivalent of some BASICs of the 60's which would run on a Linux machine.

If you like writing programs, I bet you would enjoy Python more after
minimal investment in learning it.  You don't need to learn all the OOP,
error handling etc, just the bits that have basic counterparts.

but if that is distasteful, oh well. never mind.