You can totally run a real 1960's BASIC on linux with a PDP-8
emulator.  I have a PiDP-8 that I built from a kit from Switzerland.

  http://obsolescence.wixsite.com/obsolescence/pidp-8

It uses a Raspberry Pi as a host system for the simulator, a slightly
modified version of SIMH:

  http://simh.trailing-edge.com/

I ran the lunar lander BASIC program on the PiDP-8, which was my first
exposure to programming in the 1970s (except I first saw the program
on a programmable HP calculator).