On 2018-02-01 18:10, John Jason Jordan wrote:
First, let me make it clear that when it comes to CPUs, motherboards
and RAM I am hopelessly out of date. I was out of date four years ago
when I bought my laptop - I just selected component options based on the
price. I had no idea what any of the features of the CPU actually did.
I need a really, really dumbed down explanation, dumber than I have
found on the net.

Go to System76 and see what they provision in their Wild Dog and Leopard desktops. Use that as a starting guide. Remember that the lowest cost CPU + Lots of RAM will outperform the highest cost CPU + Minimal RAM for most use cases.

--
      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
     Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity