On 1/2/19 10:31 PM, Larry Brigman wrote:
Maybe I'm stating the obvious. Normally you would be running this command
from a local X client where the shell would have the $DISPLAY value set.
Like this:
echo $DISPLAY
127.0.0.1:0.0

I was sitting at my Slackware laptop in the living room, my first Slackware install, and decided to see how it responded:

bash-4.3$ echo $DISPLAY
:0.0
bash-4.3$

When I ssh -X into it from my other Slackware machine, I get a blank line when I echo $DISPLAY.

Back on the laptop, I tried connecting to my Ubuntu machine and running caja:

dick@ENU-1:~$ caja
Could not parse arguments: Cannot open display:
dick@ENU-1:~$ echo $DISPLAY

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens