On Tue, Dec 24, 2019 at 7:55 AM Tomas Kuchta <tomas.kuchta.li...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Christmas is slow, so I made an exception and read carefully Russell's lan
> loop warning post.
>
> Now, I have conscious, not unconscious (double negative warning to true
> English speakers), desire to try to create and observe lan loops in action
> for the first time.
>
> The problem I am seeking help with, can I create one with 4 port router of
> which 1 port is wlan and two cat5 patch cables?
>
> The router/switch looks this way:
> - WAN (eth0)
>     +- LAN1 (eth1)
>     +- LAN2 (eth2)
>     +- WLAN3 (wlan0)
> The router is running openWrt.

If it's going to "work" (by which I mean rapidly begin to not-work), you
could connect LAN1 to LAN2 with a patch cable and then generate some
traffic from wifi. It is quite possible that the switch implements some
kind of loop protection. Bridges have spanning tree protocol to prune
redundant links, your wifi will be connected to the LAN ports via a bridge.
Whether you loop or not will depend on how the switch is implemented. You
might need more than two switch ports to make it "work".

> I also have two Linux PCs, one with wlan and eth, one with wlan only; and
> already mentioned 2 patch cables: 2" and 3" variety.
>
> The thing is, I have never consciously experience lan loop. Possibly
> because my switches can detect and disable them, possibly because I am too
> smart! Not sure which to apply right now.

I've seen it a few times, including at the PLUG clinic a long time ago, on
a dumb netgear FS116. Many similar colored ethernet cables, someone
(possibly me) plugged one in thinking it went to their device but actually
went back to another port on the same switch and very quickly switch
operation became much less reliable to the point that it pretty much didn't
work anymore. Eric Harrison has at least one story of student-perpetrated
network sabotage using a similar-but-intentional technique.