If you had a key registry of some kind, then just like DNS gives you an IP
number for a name, you could get a key for a user, and you would have a
mechanism for sharing the encryption as it changes. Since you articulated
earlier that my keys are likely going to be changing over time. So then I
need to put a form of key evolution into this system.

And since we are worried about security in this, we have to find ways to
make the DNS-for-encryption-keys be secure and immutable, otherwise, it
just becomes a different vector for descryting by the wrong people.

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 12:08 PM Paul Heinlein <heinl...@madboa.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Jan 2020, John Sechrest wrote:
>
> > I have the feeling that the PGP process is not more widely adopted
> because
> > of the user experience. You have to go out of your way to get things up
> and
> > going. And then you have to be attentive.
> >
> > It would be interesting to take this "idea toolchain" and come at it
> from a
> > perspective of the user experience in the process.
> >
> > I would submit that if I need to be intentional about keys, privacy and
> > trust in each transaction that the adoption rate will be very low (As I
> > think we see with pgp)
> >
> > Are there ways to fold the "User Actions" into a process, so that the
> task
> > of engaging in messaging is secure and yet does not take substantial
> > intention to keep things going.
>
> Longer ago than I care to admit, Simson Garfinkel and I exchanged some
> ideas on this theme. His idea, which I thought promising, was to treat
> secure e-mail exhanges like SSH logins.
>
> The first time I log into a remote host using SSH, I'm asked to accept
> the key. It's certainly possible to request that key from a trusted
> third party (even DNS), but usually I just accept the key on first
> login. I only worry about it when it changes and SSH issues its
> impossible-to-ignore WARNING WARNING message.
>
> His thought was that the first time you exchange an e-mail message
> with someone, you accept that user's key (automatically offered up by
> a process or protocol that doesn't yet exist). The remote user does
> likewise. Thereafter, all communications with that person are
> encrypted by that key. Should the key change, the mail client would
> turn red or otherwise indicate WARNING WARNING. It would be up the
> local user to decide if the key change is valid or not.
>
> There are obvious potential problems with this idea: there's no
> obvious way to publish keys beforehand; it's unclear how to deal with
> people who use multiple mail clients (phone, tablet, home workstation,
> work workstation, web client) with the same e-mail address; too many
> people will ignore WARNING WARNING and thoughtlessly accept the
> change; and many others.
>
> Still, I thought it was on the right track toward just building
> point-to-point crypto into the scheme of things.
>
> --
> Paul Heinlein
> heinl...@madboa.com
> 45°38' N, 122°6' W_______________________________________________

John Sechrest      .  Need to schedule a meeting :
http://sechrest.youcanbookme.com
                                   .
                                        .
                                                .