On Sun, 2 Feb 2020 06:18:22 -0800 (PST)
Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>My desktop host has an Asus Prime X470-Pro motherboard and USB3.x
>ports on the rear panel plus two on the front panel.
>I don't now know which flavor of USB3.x powers the hub and front port
>and wonder why this would make a difference in sane (and I presume
>xsane) finding the scanner.

USB is a complicated thing. I suspect that the software is not the
issue. A motherboard has one, two, three or more USB connectors, and
each connector may serve more than one port, thus more than one port
may have to share what the motherboard gives it. And the motherboard
may be lumping connectors together as well. Try lshw -c usb to see if
it sheds any light on which port has what capabilities. The user manual
for the motherboard may also provide clues.