On Sun, 2 Feb 2020, Galen Seitz wrote:

I suspect you are over the power budget for your bus-powered hub.

Galen,

I never considered this.

Before trying sane, I suggest using lsusb to check for the scanner. This
command will tell you how much power every USB device is requesting. Look
for your hub and the connected devices and add up the current. The limit
for USB 3.0 is 900 mA total current.
lsusb -v |grep 'idVendor\|idProduct\|MaxPower'

Try it with the scanner connected in both places just in case the scanner doesn't even appear when connected to the hub.

Yep:

Scanner on hub:
    MaxPower              100mA
    MaxPower              500mA
    MaxPower              100mA
    MaxPower              100mA
Scanner on front:
    MaxPower              100mA
    MaxPower              500mA
    MaxPower              100mA
    MaxPower              100mA
    MaxPower              500mA

The last one being the scanner.

Given what you have connected, I think the solution is probably going to
be connecting power to the hub.

Sure enough. Now to find where I put the power cable.

Thanks very much,