On Sun, 02 Feb 2020 20:47:18 -0500
tomas.kuchta.li...@gmail.com dijo:

>> It was advertised as being USB 2.0. The interesting part is what
>> happens when I plug it into a USB 3.0 port. (None of my computers
>> have USB 2.0 ports any more.) Not only does the drive not need both
>> forks inserted, it also doesn't seem to matter which one I use.

>On the contrary - all of your ports are usb3 and also usb2 - it is
>part of the compatibility spec for the root device to have both 2 and
>3 controllers hanging on the USB-A connectors.

I am only concerned with power availability. My understanding is that a
USB 3.0 port can supply close to twice the current of a USB 2.0 port
(1.8x). So if the port is capable of being USB 3.0, with the power
availability of USB 3.0, when I plug in a USB 2.0 device it will drop
the available current to the USB 2.0 level? If so, is this because USB
2.0 cables have fewer wires, or why?

I'm still wondering about my USB 2.0 optical drive; why it functions
fine with either one of its connectors plugged in and not the other
connector. I don't have any USB 2.0 ports to plug it into to see if it
then needs both forks of the cable plugged in. I just assumed that it
would, else why would the manufacturer have included a cable that forks
into two connectors at the computer end?