Someone probably mentioned here already - the fastest and cheapest way to
go about this is to get cheapest headset for cellphone in a local store and
use that to compare the results.

Perhaps the whole issue is with SW.

There is no point in getting XLR gear until you know that you need it.
Maybe you do maybe you do not need XLR mixer - building recording studio
does not seem like optimal way to debug a microphone.

In case you do need mixer - Behringer makes OK and small gear with USB
audio in/out.

Hope that helps,
Tom