On Thu, 21 Jan 2021, David wrote:

I'm not sure about the "easy" part, but take a look at procmail and its recipes.

I don't use it, but the utility ingests mail, analyzes it, and then "takes an action" which is generally just a routing of some sort.

There shouldn't be any reason why you might be able to trigger a script instead.

dafr,

I do use procmail (to route messages to the appropriate file). It would not
work for Michael's needs because it distributes arriving messages.

From the procmail man page: " Procmail should be invoked automatically over
the .forward file mechanism as soon as mail arrives. Alternatively, when
installed by a system administrator, it can be invoked from within the
mailer immediately. When invoked, it first sets some environment variables
to default values, reads the mail message from stdin until an EOF, separates
the body from the header, and then, if no command line arguments are
present, it starts to look for a file named $HOME/.procmailrc. According to
the processing recipes in this file, the mail message that just arrived gets
distributed into the right folder (and more). If no rcfile is found, or
processing of the rcfile falls off the end, procmail will store the mail in
the default system mail‐ box."