On 2/5/21 9:57 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
On Fri, 5 Feb 2021, Ben Koenig wrote:

To quote myself - "I'm a huge fan of setting the meeting password BASED ON THE OUTPUT OF THE GUEST SPEAKER'S NAME PIPED TO MD5SUM"

It was intended as a linux commandline joke, but in order to see the joke you must read the ENTIRE sentence. Cutting the sentence in half completely changes the intended meaning.

Okay. I thought you pasted that md5sum into a password text entry widget.

Nope, that's not what I said. But I think that would be a totally awesome way to manage passwords :)

On a slightly (un?)related note, this reminds me of one of the conversations last night about education. Everyone talks about how we have severe problems with our education system and how this pandemic thing is adding to an already stressed system. But the question that sticks in my brain is: "what is the real-world impact of a failing education system? "

What does that failure look like when children grow up and enter the work force? IMO it would look like what just happened here.

Failure to teach basic linguistic skills will ultimately result in adults who routinely fail to understand simple statements. Not only am I struggling to properly convey my thoughts, you are struggling to properly understand the message as it was written. Imagine the chaos 20 years from now when the children of today's Zoom classes start taking on real responsibility.

-Ben