On Sat, Dec 25, 2021 at 5:25 AM Richard Owlett <rowl...@cloud85.net> wrote:

> I'm running a default Debian 11.1 system with MATE.
> My sources.list file references strange.com .
> I assume that mirror is over-loaded and refers requests to quiet.com .

this is not a great assumption. something.... strange... is going on.

When installing XYZ.deb with any of apt family of tools (e.g. Synaptic),
> is there a standard system log file which will tell the actual URL
> providing XYZ.deb &/or dependencies?

I couldn't find a log file for apt based tools. the general philosophy
appears to be to show the progress and details while the operation is
active, but not to save this info anywhere.

however, I did find a less direct way (or maybe more direct, depending on
your point of view) to see what you're looking for.

in synaptic, if you mark a package for installation, but don't click apply
yet, under the file menu, there is an option labeled

"generate package download script"

save this somewhere and it will show exactly what it's downloading and from
where, with full url.

other apt related tools have similar options, though you really have to go
looking for them.

-wes