On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 22:54:15 -0800
Russell Senior <russ...@personaltelco.net> dijo:

>Not being able to print to a local USB connected printer in ChromeOS
>(you had to enroll your printer with google, and send your documents
>to google so they could send it back to your printer) used to be a big
>"NO THANK YOU" from me. I think someone told me that's no longer the
>case, but I'd already installed Gallium on my two Toshiba Chromebook
>2's. I kind of like Gallium, although new Chromebooks with higher res
>displays are hard to come by and it seems like the development pace
>has slowed recently, 3.1 is still based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, which is
>still supported upstream, but is coming up on 4 years old.
>
>On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 10:28 PM elcaseti <elcas...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The Snapdragon 7 is an ARM CPU, so there might not be any distros
>> that would support that Duet 5 13.3.  If you do end up buying a
>> Chromebook, I agree that you really don't want to use ChromeOS.  I
>> used a Chromebook at my library recently, & it was so limiting, that
>> it was almost useless.  I was unable to print a PDF from a USB jump
>> drive, & it doesn't get more basic than that.  I asked a librarian
>> if he knew how to do this, & he said I don't think you can do that
>> on our chromebooks!

Thanks to all for the observations. I had already looked at Gallium, but
you have to download an ISO according to what CPU your device has, and
all the ISOs they offer are for Intel CPUs only, no ISOs for
Snapdragons.

My understanding is that you can run just about any distro if you
install it as a virtual OS, and current versions of Chrome OS have that
capability built in. The problem is finding a discussion somewhere
posted by someone who has actually installed a distro virtually on a
recent Chromebook, with information about what works and what doesn't.
The Lenovo that I have my eyes on has only 8GB RAM and 64GB storage,
and neither are upgradable. It's a $400 gamble, although I could
probably return it. I could live with one or two little things not
working, but what if the touchscreen or the wifi fail?

Maybe I need to put this project on the shelf and revisit it in a couple
years.