On Wed, 19 Jan 2022 11:40:26 -0800
Timothy Scoppetta <scoppet...@gmail.com> dijo:

>I use a kindle for the original use case described but my Pixelbook Go
>is the best linux netbook (does that term still exist?) I've ever
>owned. I run a full debian install in a container and have yet to find
>any app or tool (GUI or command line) that I can't get working
>locally. I haven't tried heavyweights like gimp or bitwig and I
>definitely wouldn't suggest compiling on it.
>
>Happy to answer any questions about existing in the ecosystem, I use it
>daily and for me it works great.
>
>This is the one I've had for a little under a year:
>https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YMGQYP6/

The Go is a good deal for someone who wants a regular type laptop. I
want something that I can use as a laptop occasionally, but 90%+ of its
use will be for reading while seated in a recliner, i.e., no table or
desk to set the screen on. I will have to hold it in the air in front
of me, as when reading a real book made of paper. For this, weight
becomes an issue, hence I want a '2-in-1' computer. Now, '2-in-1' is a
term that some vndors use to describe a laptop where the screen can be
folded completely around, but others use it to describe a computer
where the screen section and the keyboard section can be detached. It
is the latter that I want, and the Duet 5 13.3 is at the top of my list.

The great part about the Duet 5 13.3 is that it has an OLED screen,
which gets rave reviews. The bad part is that it has only 4GB RAM,
which is soldered.

Another bad point is its Snapdragon CPU, but last night I ran into a
post on Ubuntu forums where a person said that he had successfully
installed Ubuntu on a Snapdragon Chromebook and everything was working.
That may work for me, but I will likely have to run Linux in a
container instead, and then the shortage of RAM may become an issue.
Running Debian on top of Chrome OS in 4GB of RAM sounds iffy.

Another issue with the Duet 5 13.3 is that if you look for it on
lenovo.com the page says it is unavailable. Yet they are still selling
the previous version, the Duet 3 10.1, which does not offer the OLED
screen. However, the page for the Duet 5 13.3 says 'temporarily
unavailable,' not 'discontinued,' so maybe that means that they are
having supply chain problems like the rest of the world these days.

There aren't many detachable 2-in-1 computers to choose from, and OLED
displays are even scarcer.