I'm moving from a Redhat-family distro (Scientific Linux,
a physics-heavy CENTOS clone) to Debian-family distros.
I've played with Ubuntu 20.10 and and 22.10 on two
desktops; "snap" seems to use nontrivial amounts of RAM.
My preferred laptops are only 3GB; RAM bloat is an issue.

I also maintain an offsite virtual server; my favorite
hosting company supports CentOS, Ubuntu, and Debian.

Is snap actually a memory hog, or is that my misperception?
Will snap remain mostly Canonical's walled garden?

Moving to uncluttered Debian LTS (with its vast collection
of packages) seems to be a better option in the long term -
unless Debian "snap"s as well.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          kei...@keithl.com