I daily-drive Gnome 3 for work under vanilla Ubuntu, but my laptop is
relatively high on memory.  If I were more strapped for memory, would
likely be using Xfce or LXDE and the appropriate Ubuntu variant.

I have used i3 as well, which appeals to my geeky side (mouse optional),
but I didn't want to burn a bunch of time customizing it to get the type of
functionality I have out of the box with Gnome, so I just stuck with Gnome
out of pragmatism - I'm getting paid to work, not fiddle with my desktop,
and while Gnome may be bloated and not the most customizable, it does
basically Just Work. :-)

- Paul